Friday, 12 August 2011

[Fo'tis'ma] - Score and Sound Design


My initial idea with score always gets changed and tweaked as I move along with the editing/finessing process.

Here are some films that inspired me on the score and sound side of things:

Always a favorite on every level:


Current Favorite - Mischa Rozerma is a genius!:


Just a bit of context on the scoring side of things: I was asked to work on another project and had very specific guidelines in terms of audio cues over specific sections of time. I was so eager to work on the project that I decided to work on this score even before there was sign off on the pitch. I finished the score in a day or two and send it to the boys Khalid and Jonathan at Next Level Pictures who I was going to work with on the spot. They loved the track but was informed that the pitch did not go through - I was bummed but immediately knew that the track could work for the [Fo'tis'ma] project that I had coming up.

People often ask how do I start a project. The simple answer; score. Before I even get thinking about the visuals - I work on getting the RIGHT score. I think its important to note here that my pieces have all been largely 'experimental/artistic/abstract' which helps when considering audio first. If I was working on a longer-form narrative piece I'd probably focus on story/edit first and then work the audio soon in after.

So I guess if I were to jot down my workflow, from concept to completion it would be something like this:

1. NOTEBOOK - Brainstorm Ideas
2. Search for Audio/Visual References [I do this all the time - not only when I'm working on projects]
3. Start scoring
4. Start editing to the score
5. Add visual effects/comps
6. Do VO [if required]
7. Add sound effects
8. NOTEBOOK - Write down revisions and things to tweak
9. Make revisions and Tweaks
10.Deliver

My biggest Advice would be to focus on getting the part that tells the 'story' the clearest/strongest.

For [Fo'tis'ma] this would be the VO look at the processing happening on that channel. The thing that really helps the VO is the growl/noise/distortion that I've added - giving the VO a little bit more of a punch - making it SLIGHTLY dirtier and grittier - It ALWAYS helps with giving the performance a little more character

Check the screengrab with the 'Trash plug in below'...the other grab is just to give an idea of how many tracks I'm using for the score/SFX and VO - typically if the project is big I'll have different sessions for each step. I'll start with the score - Import the final score track into a new [SFX/VO] session and then record the corresponding VO/SFX

Hope this helps




5 comments:

  1. this is helpful. thanks! I need to learn doing my own audio.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Inspired. So grateful to have guys like you on this earth bro. Your willingness to share your journey is so awesome. I will have to really open up Pro Tools now and discover the tools that could lend good spices to my overall production. Wow. This info is so good.

    Thanks again Salomon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks man, really helpful and insightful!
    I've always found that my voiceover's sound unrealistic compared to the action, now just have to figure out what I can do inside of Soundtrack Pro to acheive some effects. Any suggestions for tutorials or maybe some of your own?

    Thanks,
    Daniel M
    Winnipeg,Manitoba

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice Salomon very simplified yet profound it speaks of your passion, and your discipline. Thank for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey salomon, very well done!
    I love your works
    I mean to ask you if im allowed to use one of your songs in my videos?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete