Monday, 11 April 2011

Silent Transitions Color Grading

I have had a few mails and inquiries about the color grading workflow for Silent Transitions. So without going into too much detail - here are a few screenshots for comparison and a few detail shots in what I did in Magic Bullet.

As to the question, 'why grade so starkly?'

- There's not too much psychology behind it, except to say that if visuals [grading included] and music can engage people's emotions and stir them in the faith/to faith then we've done what we've called to do...

Part of the stark grading and scoring has to do with setting the scene for a mood of unrest/noise/unsettledness etc.














Standard workflow involves:

1. Import the edit from FCP into AE via a script called Popcorn Island.
2. Level all the clips to make sure tonally they all match [do this using the standard AE color grading tools: curves and exposure tools especially]
3. Create a blanket grade using an adjustment layer over all the edits [for a particular sequence - depending on the tone of the sequence]
4. Tweak each cut to fit the tone of the sequence but to stand on its own too

I will go into greater detail in upcoming pieces

5 comments:

  1. Good one, man! thanks.

    But I have a question regarding rendering... what output did you render this as? h.246 or quicktime photo?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @nic first prores then h264

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet! I've been awaiting more awesomeness from you bro. This certainly helps a great deal. I've done a test using your previous shares of information on your preference in post processing work flow. I showed my piece to a few friends and the marveled at the look and feel of the frames. You are super appreciated!!!

    Also I've been inspired to explore original scoring as well. Getting familiar with NI plugs and Miroslav Philharmonics...Insane possibilities. My passion for the craft has increased immensely since I've discovered this blog and your work.

    Sincerely,

    Marcus

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing. Interesting to see the before/after split screen images. I have actually used a modified version of one of your earlier grades in this video:

    http://vimeo.com/22482031

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your blog has always been a good source for me to get quality tips on blogging. Thanks once again.
    Color Grading a Film Tutorial

    ReplyDelete